This question is a bit loaded. We are allowing others to have their beliefs.
Not allowing theists to wield government institutions to compel, indoctrinate and recruit others into their religion, is not a banning of a belief. It is maintaining a secular society that is open and fair to all, as it was originally envisioned to be.
Ironically, atheists in the U.S., alongside other flavors of non-believers, are continually under attack or are slandered by theists. We're constantly having to correct misconceptions from people who were lied to from the pulpit.
Atheists are currently the most distrusted minority. It is currently impossible for a known atheist to run any kind of high level office. Atheists "coming out of the closet" frequently lose friends, family and even their jobs, by those who were misled into thinking we are evil, untrustworthy and immoral.
Speaking up and standing up for ourselves is for self defense. Websites like this one are a manifestation of that.
We have a backlog of 2000 years of uninterrupted slander to process through.
The real question is "Why aren't more skeptics and non-believers standing up and talking more?", in a time of dogmatic overreach in society.
- Isn't "believing that God doesn't exist" the same thing as "not believing in God"?
- Do you only believe in what you can see, touch, feel, etc?
- Why do you ignore all the evidence around you for a god?
- Where does morality come from, if not God?
- Why do atheists support gays so much?
- Do atheists believe in nothing?
- Are you afraid of going to hell?
- If it wasn't God, who created the universe?
- Why are you so closed minded?
- What is the point of living without an afterlife or god?
- What if you are wrong?
- Can you prove that God doesn't exist?
- Will you admit that there is a possibility of a god?
- Do atheists have faith?
- Where does the meaning, and purpose of life come from?
- If there is no god, how do you explain _______?
- Why do atheists have faith in science?
- Are atheists empty, unhappy people?
- What bad experience made you hate god?
- Where to do you go when you die?
- Do you believe all this came about by random chance or by accident?
- What would it take to prove to you that a god exists?
- Why don't you just sit down and shut up, and let others have their beliefs?
- Why are atheists so angry?
- Isn't it arrogant to say that science has all the answers?
- Wouldn't it be safer to just believe than risk going to hell?
- Aren't you just rebelling against God because you want to sin?
- What is faith?
- Have you tried to believe in God?
- Doesn't you being so against God prove he exists?
- Why did you choose to be an atheist?
- Where do you think rights come from, if not God?
- Do atheists want to take religious freedom from Christians?
- Is atheism a religion?
- Don't atheists believe there is no god?
- What is in it for me to be an atheist?
- Do you believe in a soul or spirit?
- How do you know you are right?
- What is an agnostic?
- If you don't worship God, do you worship yourselves?
- What is the difference between an agnostic and an atheist?
- Don't you have to be skeptical about skepticism?
- Don't you know that you're just supposed to have faith?
- What do you base your beliefs from?
- What is an atheist?
- Why do you ignore god?