Frequently, looking at the birds and the trees, and other life forms out the window, are cited as evidence for a god. "The evidence is all around you!".
Not many people are aware that such a thing as the standards of evidence exists. Some attributes make a piece of evidence more valuable than another piece.
Which is better evidence that a tornado occurred?
- A snickers bar with a face chiseled into it.
- A path of destruction with objects strewn randomly left and right.
Obviously, the latter is the better evidence - but, why? When one starts analyzing what makes some evidence better than others, one would soon develop a set of rules, or a set of standards, of what makes for good evidence, or bad.
• As a general rule of thumb, if the evidence one is offering equally (if not more) implicates the opposing viewpoint, it is not good evidence.
Pointing at the birds and the trees implicates, even more so, that nature happens, and operates on its own. It is a direct demonstration of a system that has no supernatural engine driving it. This is exclusive with the claim that it does. We've never observed any supernatural phenomenon spontaneously creating new forms of life. We only observe nature chugging along, as nature usually does.
• If one is responsible for hiring good, hard-working and experienced people into job openings for a company, one typically has a set of standards established that are consistently demonstrably effective at weeding out bad candidates and finding the good ones. If a person applies for a job, and instead of supplying previous employers as his/her references, he/she instead provides references to his/her imaginary friends, and instead of a resume indicating experience, he/she has a resume that talks about hallucinations he/she had about doing work, that candidate would be promptly dismissed, and rightly so.
• Often, theists will attempt to "logic God into existence", without any attempt to confirm the argument. An example is, "God is love. Love exists, therefore, God exists." Logic is used without any confirming evidence, often on faulty or undemonstrative premises, to argue that a God has to exist. Since logic can only be a guide for investigation in reality (you can only absolutely prove things within math), all one has done is made an argument without any verification.
• The vast majority of theistic arguments fail for one reason or another, to the point that it is rare to hear an argument that does not use at least one logical fallacy.
That is why most "evidence" provided by theists gets rejected; because the quality is too poor, and does not adhere to basic standards of evidence.
- Isn't "believing that God doesn't exist" the same thing as "not believing in God"?
- Do you only believe in what you can see, touch, feel, etc?
- Why do you ignore all the evidence around you for a god?
- Where does morality come from, if not God?
- Why do atheists support gays so much?
- Do atheists believe in nothing?
- Are you afraid of going to hell?
- If it wasn't God, who created the universe?
- Why are you so closed minded?
- What is the point of living without an afterlife or god?
- What if you are wrong?
- Can you prove that God doesn't exist?
- Will you admit that there is a possibility of a god?
- Do atheists have faith?
- Where does the meaning, and purpose of life come from?
- If there is no god, how do you explain _______?
- Why do atheists have faith in science?
- Are atheists empty, unhappy people?
- What bad experience made you hate god?
- Where to do you go when you die?
- Do you believe all this came about by random chance or by accident?
- What would it take to prove to you that a god exists?
- Why don't you just sit down and shut up, and let others have their beliefs?
- Why are atheists so angry?
- Isn't it arrogant to say that science has all the answers?
- Wouldn't it be safer to just believe than risk going to hell?
- Aren't you just rebelling against God because you want to sin?
- What is faith?
- Have you tried to believe in God?
- Doesn't you being so against God prove he exists?
- Why did you choose to be an atheist?
- Where do you think rights come from, if not God?
- Is atheism a religion?
- Do atheists want to take religious freedom from Christians?
- Don't atheists believe there is no god?
- What is in it for me to be an atheist?
- Do you believe in a soul or spirit?
- How do you know you are right?
- What is an agnostic?
- If you don't worship God, do you worship yourselves?
- What is the difference between an agnostic and an atheist?
- Don't you have to be skeptical about skepticism?
- Don't you know that you're just supposed to have faith?
- What do you base your beliefs from?
- What is an atheist?
- Why do you ignore god?